Tuesday, October 19, 2010

White Pine Technology in the Classroom Session One reflections

This is my first ever blog! This is the beginning of my journey into the read/write web as an educator. I have to say, I'm a bit nervous, I'm a bit excited, I'm even a bit frightened.

I'm getting ready for tonight's class. I've spent weeks and weeks reading about how technology should be used in the classrooms. I've spent hours and hours preparing for this one session. I have so much I want to share, I know I will cram way to much into our first 2 and a half hours. After reading so many books: Blogs, Wikis, Podcasts, and other Powerful Web Tools for the Classroom by Will Richardson, Toys to Tools by Liz Kolb, The Digital Writing Workshop by Troy Hicks, Bring it to Class by Hagood, Alvermann, and Heron-Hruby, Empowering Students with Technology by Alan November...  I feel this intense sense of urgency to "catch up" to where we should have been so long ago with incorporating technology into our everyday teaching... as if catching up is even a possibility. It's not that we are starting way to late, it's that technology is moving, changing, re-inventing so fast that it is humanly impossible to ever be caught up.
I need to start somewhere! I'm taking that first step with tomorrow night's class! I hope all goes well!

Just a note: I know I should be putting the titles or the books I've referenced, or the authors as links... I will figure that out with my next post!

1 comment:

  1. Technology is changing the careers of everyone. Recently, I was invited to a class on TelePractice to help with the speech and language therapy shortages around the country. Therapists are using Skype in order to deliver speech and language services to people who might not receive services otherwise. My first reaction was, "What? Are they trying to replace speech pathologists?" As I have been receiving more information about this telepractice it seems to be an innovative way of service delivery. For example, one use of telepractice is for military personnel that have received a Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) and are still overseas. They get to receive speech therapy per the internet. I thought that was pretty amazing.
    I know that this class with allow me to become more innovative in how I deliver services and how to effectively utilize technological resources. It is amazing how behind you can get in regards to technology in just a couple of years. I have really enjoyed trying the homework with my students. I have also noticed the joy in their face when they get to utilize technology when completing speech and language assignments. I am very excited for next class.

    ReplyDelete