Sunday, October 24, 2010

Technology conference in Las Vegas

This weekend I had the privilege of attending a technology conference in Las Vegas. I am still trying to synthesis all that I learned into one stream of thought. My brain is full of hyper links and I need everything to become linear! This makes me think about Will Richardson's reference to Prensky, 2001a in his book, Blogs, Wikis, Podcasts, and Other Powerful Web Tools for Classrooms, Corwin Press, 2010...I'm thinking proper blog etiquette would have me put a link there rather than so much text...I need to find out about that! Any way, Prensky says, "...years of computer use results in children who 'think differently from us. They develop hypertext minds. They leap around. It's as though their cognitive structures were parallel, not sequential'" p. 8. If this is true, what does that say to teachers with non-hypertext minds trying to learn all of this technology? Will my mind become a hypertext mind? Will I learn to adapt my needs for sequential learning to a more multi-leveled matrix of thought processes that allows my brain to comprehend a mass of information in one block of time? Do students with hypertext minds have that ability? I don't think that is what Prensky meant. I'm not sure if I know at this moment what he meant as I am experiencing a "mash-up" of information right now and I can't make sense of it.
How am I feeling right now...overwhelmed. When will I quick feeling overwhelmed?

No comments:

Post a Comment