Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Teacher Inquiry Community (TIC) with many miles between us

Seven folks, three locations, one meeting, one community, a teacher inquiry community. Winnemucca TIC! I didn't think it would work but I love teacher inquiry so much that I was willing to give it a chance. Tonight was session two of a year-long teacher inquiry class where teacher-researchers come together as a community willing to help one another think deeply, think differently about their work as educators. I've facilitated this work for a handful of years now, all face-to-face and all extremely powerful in building a strong sense of collaboration and community. With the Winnemucca TIC we have participants teaching and living in rural-extreme! Video conferencing, Google Docs, email and fax machines are our way of making the connections necessary to build our long-distance relationships! Tonight was session two of a year-long class. Session one started with a face-to-face where all participants were required to meet in one room. I knew I needed that opportunity to meet everyone face-to-face before starting this experiment of video conferencing etc. to facilitate the group. I am pleased to report that tonight was wonderful! I think this will work, although I still prefer the face-to-face. Maybe that's human nature. Session three will involve seven folks and four locations. That will be interesting!
Side-note: I'm exhausted! It's been a very long day of traveling and working. I'm in my hotel room wanting dinner and sleep. Despite these wants/needs, I chose to post on my blog. This tells me that blogging provides a unique motivation for writing. I wonder if this motivation will stand the test of time. I do not plan to reread this post...too lazy tonight. That's interesting to note!

No comments:

Post a Comment