Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Is email for old people?

I once heard that according to the younger generation, (current teenagers) e-mail is useless and/or obsolete! Hmmmm... I check my email several times a day. It is a tool that much...maybe all of my work, at some level, is coordinated through. Considering the rate of change when it comes to technology, I can imagine a time in the near future when e-mail becomes a concept of the past, kind of like dial-up connections to the Internet. I wonder what I will be using to coordinate my work then! Some version of Facebook? Texting on my mobile device? I find that most of my coordinating of life with three teenagers is done with my cell phone!

I think that any anxiety I experience on my journey toward techy-ness is due to the fear of the unknown. I don't have that willingness to just go with whatever may come at me. As a classroom teacher teaching writing I am comfortable teaching this way, responding to student writers according to what ever may come at me. I don't know what I will be teaching from one conference to the next during a single writing workshop and I am completely okay with that. There is plenty of the unknown and I thrive on it. I trust myself and my knowledge as a teacher of writing. I wonder if that same level of comfort and confidence will come related to my experiences with technology. Only time will tell!

A side note: I have read and reread this post, checked spelling and other conventions, something I would not be doing if I were writing these reflections in my research notebook. I've noticed after reading past posts that I have numerous errors...they are small and a reader can easily figure out my intended message, but still, the errors are there. What does this mean for students that use a blog to communicate with their readers on a regular basis? Will they become more conscientious of their writing? I know I have, and still, I bet once I reread my post a day later I will discover there are still errors that I've missed tonight. Hmmmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment