Monday, January 3, 2011

itunes disaster, not really

While shacked up alone in yet another motel room, for yet another work trip, I spent about an hour taking advantage of the high-speed Internet to download itunes podcasts for my travel listening pleasure. After more than 20 podcasts found worthy of my i-pod finickiness were finally downloaded to itunes I carefully selected all, (ctrl A) and drug them to my i-pod within enough time it took for 4 of the over 20 podcasts were loaded onto my i-pod I mistakenly hit the delete button, selecting all to be deleted! It was a minor disaster! Knowing how important it is that I have my latest National Public Radio reports on all things educational, technological and political, I decided to return to the i-tunes store and once again start collecting the podcasts. Four hours later, I've realized that what I first considered a disaster has become an opportunity for learning! Not only did I chose a different selection of podcasts to download based on but I also followed a trail of searches through the i-tunes store leading me to the treasures of video-casts from both the 2008 and 2009 k12online conference!  http://k12onlineconference.org/. After watching a handful of different presentations, I downloaded, I searched for presenters' web sites, I followed links, I ended up on You Tube, and using my newest favorite app, Zilla Tube www.zillatube.com to convert and download some of the videos to my hard drive, anticipating how I can work them into my next tech class.
It is now pushing midnight and I have to get up in 5 hours to hit the road but for some reason, I was compelled to post on my blog. I realize my posts are few and far-between. They are wordy, and  lack consistency and, frankly, they lack a story that anyone may care to read. Maybe this awareness will drive my next techy goal choices. Maybe not.
The feelings of being overwhelmed are easier to swallow as I confront new applications and understandings of  personal technology use and how that applies to the needs of today's classroom. I wonder why that is? Is it that I'm okay with not knowing?  Have I come to terms with the fact that I will never "catch up" because catching up is relative to each individual and each circumstance?   I wonder what the qualifications are to be considered "techy". Maybe I'll Google it!

No comments:

Post a Comment