Saturday, January 22, 2011

Ning Book Club

First I must address the intentions of being a consistent blogger. What does that really mean, anyway? I've decided that twice a month should be good enough, that is if I still want a life away from the Internet! I recognize that twice a month is not sufficient if I want to attract mass readers. Good thing that is not my intention. I simply want to catalogue my interactions with technology. Today I want to reflect on my activity with NWP's book club Ning. I've chosen to participate in a book club discussion that started a few days ago. Here's what I notice about myself as I use this technology.

1. I am constantly aware of my possible readers. (Not so much with this blog. Based on history of this blog, I know I do not have readers, with the Ning there is a community of educated adults participating in the conversation.)
2. Because of my reader-awareness I notice how thoughtful I am about my post. Does it make sense? Does it sound smart? Does it invite readers to respond or think? How is my spelling? My grammar, my proper use of word choice... This is all going through my mind as I write. As a teacher of writing, I vote for more opportunities like this for students of writing! The question is, does my process match what others do? Is this careful thinking typical?

No comments:

Post a Comment