Saturday, November 6, 2010

Wikis

I'm learning about Wikis and their potential use in the classroom. Again, I am learning from Will Richardson's book, Blogs, Wikis Podcasts, and Other Powerful Web Tools for Classrooms, 3rd Edition.
I love the opening quote to chapter 4, "Imagine a world in which every single person on the planet is given free access to the sum of all human knowledge. That's what we're doing." Jimmy Wales, Wikipedia founder.
That's what this is all about. A new agreement on what collaboration and negotiation implies at a global level. It's quite amazing. I would love to start a wiki where all teacher researchers using action research contribute to the process of this work. I tried a Ning for this purpose last year. It's dormant - I have not revisited it, and it has had zero visitors other than a few colleagues that I tried to get to use the Ning. They had trouble signing in, or even creating an account or some other trouble...the whole thing just flopped. So, how do we get the traffic we hope for in order to make this collaboration successful? That's what I need to learn now. The same question can be applied to this blog. Why would anyone want to visit this blog? How would I get others to visit it, and contribute to my thinking? Is this even necessary?

No comments:

Post a Comment